This blog has moved! Click here for the new blog.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The End - No Way Back

Technically, my challenge is over. I went shopping today, but all I came home with was a simple top. I look at the clothes, and think: I could have easily made this myself. Or, this is a nice fabric, but I would have made something else with it. Weird, isn't it? I had been looking forward to it, but it was very different from what I expected. I felt nothing of the joy I used to feel. The boost it used to give me is completely gone! I think I'd really have to force myself into buying something. But I see no point in doing so! Sewing has become such an integrated part of my life, I think I'd get serious withdrawal symptoms. So here's what I'll do:

1.  Keep sewing
Obviously! I want to get better, learn more techniques, try more complicated garments such as jeans, a winter coat and a jacket. What I also need to do is tie my wardrobe together. I've chosen the colours in these garments to work with:


Which would be, roughly stated: dark brown, blue (varying from teal to cobalt), mustard (surprise), grey and pink. Notice how the two out-of-my-comfort-zone garments will form the base of my wardrobe? I used to think in primary colours, whereas now its the softer colours that attract me.

2. Buy the basics
I will allow myself to buy the occasional basic garment, such as singlets. They're just not much fun to sew, and I'd rather spend my time on more creative designs. Especially now that I'll be a full time student the next couple of months.

3. Refashion thrift store finds
One thing I love is to take something ugly and turn it into something wearable. The only stores I will be buying clothes will therefore be thrift stores! I have been eyeing the clothes rack full of 'pretty fabric/ugly design' at the local thrift store for months, haha. I'm just hoping they'll have a thrift store where I'm going...

Final words
I think I have said enough about inspiration, life changes and stuff like that, so all I'd like to do is say thanks to some wonderful ladies: Wendy for lighting the spark that started all this. I have never met a woman so persistent and brave despite all that happens to her. Her daughter Heather for being my first hero although I've never met her. And thanks to Rensz, my first sewing related inspirator.

And ofcourse you, readers! I'm very happy with every life sign I get from you, whether it be a comment or just your trace in the statistics. I hope I'll be able to keep you interested. Is there anything you'd like to see? What do you like and what is missing? I always love to hear what you think!

For now, I'm off to Norway for 4,5 months! My plane leaves on thursday. I'll be taking my sewing machine with me ofcourse! I'll be camping the first three weeks though, so I don't know whether I'll be able to make something. I know I promised a giveaway, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find the right materials. I promise you a rain check on that one! To keep you entertained the coming weeks, I have some posts scheduled with items you haven't seen yet.

Adjø og snakkes senere!

3 comments:

  1. Have a good time in Norway :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I feel just the same way, everytime I went for shopping after I (re)started sewing. I reeeeeeealy understand you... I've been seing your blog for a while and I'll keep comming :) Good luke for you in Norway.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, whether it's positive or constructive critisicm! If you're commenting on an old post I'll have to moderate it, so don't worry if it doesn't immediately show. Thanks!